Wednesday, January 03, 2007

Since my brother DEMANDED that I tell the unbelievable event that occured earlier today...here it is.

A man came into the store today and asked Nick for me specifically. Nick came into the back and told me the dude had requested my presence, so I went out to the counter. I had never seen the man before. He was probably in his 30's, he had semi-spiked hair (kind of tangly), and a slight goatee.

I said hi and he reached out his hand to me. I reached my own to shake it, and as I extended my arm, he quickly whipped his other hand around and placed in my palm an envelope. I was a bit confused but I opened it without saying anything. Inside was a check written to me for $4,500.00!

My eyes bugged out and I looked up at the guy.
"Congratulations," He said, "You've just won fourty-five hundred dollars."
"Uhhhh?" I replied.
"You signed up for that contest at the Big Bend Community College, didn't you? The one to support the baseball team?"

I'd completely forgotten! "Yeah.." I answered, stunned.
"Well, you won!"
"Oh. Wow...err..Thank you!"
"Heheh, no problem, you have a good day." And he walked out.

I stood there in disbelief. Slowly I turned and looked at mom who was sitting behind me and she was just staring. Finally she said, "So what was that all about?" So I explained to her about the contest I'd signed up for and showed her the check.

Anyway, I ended up sticking the check in my wallet and was going to leave the store early to put it in the bank, when suddenly the same man came back into the store at about 3:00. I was using the computer in the show-room, so he saw me and walked over.

"Ummm...do you still have that check?" He asked.
"Yes," I answered.
"I'm really sorry, but there has been a terrible mistake...we looked at the winning ticket again and realized it wasn't you. The winner was actually somebody named Brian Brides, so you can understand the mix up when we looked your names up on our server."
"...oh?"
"I'm really sorry. I'm not going to make you return the check since I already gave it to you--but really Mr. Brides was the actual winner."
"No no...it's okay."

Reluctantly I drew out my wallet and returned the check. He ripped it in half and walked out, apologizing yet again.



So I guess I was potentially rich for an afternoon...sort of. Fortunately I don't care tooooo much about money. It can be corrupting anyway.

See, I told you you wouldn't believe my story if I told you.

7 comments:

K. H. said...

omg i did not hear about this.......

i dont believe you.

also, you shoulda tooked the money! screw brian brides!!!

i kid. dont you hate being a good person sometimes?

PassiveAssassin said...

gah...

Anonymous said...

You're right, I don't really believe you. But in a small way, I do.

Anonymous said...

thats cool

Beth said...

this post ruined my life.

Anonymous said...

I had a life once.

Father Cory said...

This post ruined my life.

You should have kept the check. It was their mistake, not yours. Omg. I die.