Sunday, September 12, 2010

I don't know if this is safe to say as a general statement for most people or if it's just me, but it seems like people go into marriage hoping to avoid divorce. And they go to marriage counseling before (and after) they wed, in the hopes that they'll avoid divorce. As if divorce is this ever-present monster looming over their marriage, waiting to come down at the slightest act of adultery or major blow-up.

The reality is, at least for Christians, that divorce isn't even supposed to be an option. It's not something they should fear and try to avoid, because it's not something that should even be available to them. God designed them to come together as one, never to separate in this life, and as Jesus said, “Because of your hardness of heart Moses allowed you to divorce your wives, but from the beginning it was not so."

I suppose our reality is, we're a world of sinful people who can essentially do whatever we want in as much as God allows us. So divorce is an option. But I don't want to go into my marriage believing that. For me it cannot be an option, and I don't want to go into my marriage, "Hoping I don't get divorced." I want to go into it knowing that I won't get divorced. And I'll have to have confidence in my wife that she will believe the same.

(aww, we're so cuuuute.)

0 comments: