Tuesday, September 29, 2009



There are on occasion, people who come into the café and play the piano. I think the majority of the people who do, seem to lack the ability or knowledge of dynamics in their playing, and despite the fact that their music is actually pretty good...the missing dynamics make it almost a mite irritating to listen to. I never realized how important they were when my teacher used to hammer them into me, but playing softer with one hand than the other, or building up your volume at certain points, or quiet here, noisy there, etc....it all works together to make beautiful music. Without such dynamics, even a pretty song can sound rather bland and somewhat uninteresting. I guess it's like the difference between a drawing or photograph that's head on, as opposed to one that's positioned at a crazy angle.

Like this versus THIS...

0 comments: